Monday, November 22, 2010

Conflict and Point of View in ''Speak''

There are a number of conflicts in this novel. Many involving the main character Melinda. For example: there's Melinda VS. Classmates , Melinda VS. Homework, Melinda VS. IT [Andy Evans], and Melinda VS. Parents just to name a few. I beleive the conflict of Melinda VS. IT is growing to be a big event in this story. I think, even though this conflict is not a major one, that it will evolve into a changing point in the book. There are also conflicts with minor characters in the book too. For say: Heather VS. Marthas [even though Heather doesn't realize there is a conflict between them.], and there's the conflict of Mr. Freedman VS. himself, this battle I find intersting, because hes trying to find himself through his art and even that is making him lost.

In Speak the point of view this story is bieng told in is First Person. The story is being told through the eyes of a ninth grader at Merryweather High by the name of Melinda. I belaive this is a interesting point of view to be told in, especially because me being a ninth grader in highschool, makes me able to relate to her better, say then a 90 year old person reading this book could. I love it when your reading a book and your able to read the thoughts of the narrarator and get inside there mind. Like I've said before its makes you able to understand where they come from easier. It's interesting how the point of view a story is being told in, can really have a impact on the story itself.

1 comment:

  1. Erin, I couldn't agree more with you! Let's talk about the point of view first. Most of my favorite novels are told from first person because I love the idea of "jumping" in to another persons mind. Reading is sort of like an escape for me, so I enjoy hoping into someone elses situation and seeing it from there point of view. I don't think you can get an experience like that with third person limited (or even omniscent for that matter).

    What about those conflicts, too? I'm not sure I've read many novels where the main character struggled this much. I liked your explanation of Melinda vs. It. You'll find out that that is one of the MAIN turning points. Do you think she'll survive it or it will be too much for her? If you were to choose one conflict in the novel that is the most apparent (obvious), which would it be and why?

    ReplyDelete