Sunday, December 5, 2010

Novel Review for "Just Listen"

"Just Listen" is a book that almost every teenager can relate to. A teenage girl goes through everyday struggles of friendship, family, and boys. I really enjoyed reading this book. Sarah Dessen did a wonderful job understanding how present-day teens think. It made me realize that every person has their problems, even if things seem fine on the outside. Things you say can deeply affect others. I think that this book is excellent for teens who are still trying to figure out what kind of person they want to become. This book is an intriguing page-turner that made me think about the choices I will have to make in the future.

This book is also a story of young love. This aspect of the book made me think about judging others. One quote that will stick with me from this book is: "Don't think or judge; just listen". The two main characters, Annabel and Owen, are a very unexpected couple. Gossip spreads like wildfire throughout the school. Annabel and Owen become known as "Beauty and the Beast". The teenage couple learn so much about each other in a very short amount of time. If Annabel had judged Owen and walked away from his many offers of help in her times of need, they would have never been together. The author did a great job developing this love story, it wasn't cheesy and unconvincing; it was real.

I feel that the books ending went too quickly. I was slightly scatter-brained throughout the last few pages of the book. I expected Owen and Annabel to officially become a couple. I did enjoy this book; however, I feel that the ending was disappointing. This was the only part of the novel in which my expectations fell short. Annabel's life somewhat falls apart, then she picks up the pieces and puts them together. In some aspects of the book I feel Annabel's reaction was not realistic. Overall, the good outweighed the bad and I would still recommend this book to anyone.

I never thought I could learn so much for a book. I learned not to judge anybody. Everybody is guilty of stereotyping others. It has become human to look at others and judge them by appearances. This book was easy to relate to. It was a modern read about situations most people face everyday. I think that this book can be enjoyed by a wide range of people. This book inspired me too think differently. I learned to not think, not judge; just listen.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment